Altimeter setting in uncontrolled airspace up north

Isabell Hoffstadt

Hello from across the pond! 

As someone who quite likes flying around in Northern Canada, I stumbled about some stuff I'm not quite sure how it is handled on Vatsim. According to the flightplanning tool I use for my VFR flights there, basically the whole northern Region is uncontrolled up to 18000ft. So I cannot even request flight following, right? 

The second thing is that I somewhere (outside of VATSIM resources) read that in that uncontrolled airspace, pilots are always supposed to use altimeter setting 2992. Is that true? While it kinda makes sense when there are huge distances between weather stations, it still seems kinda odd to me. Unfortunately I cannot remember where I read that. 

Sorry if this has been asked before and I simply was too blind to find the post. 

Regards from Germany, 

Isa

"Flight following" is officially called "radar surveillance". It can be offered subject to workload where radar coverage exists. Practically speaking, there is almost no radar coverage in the standard pressure region for VFR.

Controlled vs. uncontrolled is separate from the altimeter setting region, which is below FL180 in this diagram. Above FL180, standard pressure is used. In this region there is both controlled and uncontrolled airspace. In the Standard Pressure Region, controlled airspace begins at FL230 or FL270 depending on where you are.

(Taken from the Aeronautical Information Manual at https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/publications/transport-canada-aeronautical-information-manual-tc-aim-tp-14371)

AltimeterSetting.thumb.jpg.18de4e4754f56d8cccf6b3261e7a8569.jpg

RadarCoverage.jpg.ec8b37e4f722be83e3b8ca1c7d1a0016.jpg

Edited by Tony Koch
  • Like 1

Thanks for your answer, the clarification, and the link to the material - I've got some reading to do 🙂 

PS: I don't know how I could overlook this document, this explains everything beautifully. Thanks a bunch!

Edited by Isabell Hoffstadt

On 2/22/2022 at 4:37 AM, Isabell Hoffstadt said:

The second thing is that I somewhere (outside of VATSIM resources) read that in that uncontrolled airspace, pilots are always supposed to use altimeter setting 2992. Is that true? While it kinda makes sense when there are huge distances between weather stations, it still seems kinda odd to me. Unfortunately I cannot remember where I read that. 

You set the altimeter as normal but using your own weather sources

Liesel Downes | C3 | she/her
Gander Oceanic Controller